French Bulldog Grain Free Dog Treats | Sweet Potato Cookies
Want to know what the best French Bulldog grain free dog treats are?
As a new French Bulldog mum, I am very careful of what my little Toby eats, I've read so many blog posts and pet supply reviews on what you should and shouldn't feed your French Bulldog and to be honest I was a little confused. So to eliminate the confusion I went with what my breeder suggested and it was a 'grain free' diet.
Now, why should I feed my Toby a grain free diet?
Well, further research tells me that dogs have little natural digestive support for breaking down and metabolizing complex carbohydrates and cereal grains. As these fibres and grains remain undigested in the body it heavily relies on fermentation to break them down, that's when those famous Frenchie farts start to happen... So over a long period of time, this can damage the lining of the digestive system, resulting in bowel inflammation disorders, food sensitivities, and food allergies.
So being the 'anal' mummy that I am I wanted to make sure Toby was eating the best of the best. I buy Canidae grain free puppy food (he goes NUTS for this) and I just started baking his little treats. I use to buy 'Schmako's' however I wanted to limit as many preservatives and chemicals in Toby's diet. I must admit, I'm no Heston Blumenthal in the kitchen, however, I'm not afraid to experiment! I've tried a few recipes here and there but Toby's favorite treats are Sweet Potato Cookies.
These Sweet Potato Cookies are made with grain-free coconut flour, mashed sweet potato, peanut butter and carrots. Honey is optional and it's the perfect addition for dogs who need some extra calories (Toby doesn't need anymore...). Coconut flour is highly beneficial to a dog's skin and coat, while the sweet potato and carrots both are loaded with beta-carotene and vitamins! Sometimes I add 1 tbs of coconut oil to the mix if it's a little dry but the carrots should give it that moisture.
- 1 cup of mashed up organic sweet potato (organic is optional)
- 1 quarter cup of shredded organic carrots (organic is optional)
- 3 quarter cup of smooth organic peanut butter (organic is optional)
- 4 medium-sized eggs
- 1 quarter cup of raw honey (optional)
- 1.5 cups of coconut flour
- Boil your sweet potatoes (make sure it's enough for 1 cup mashed)
- Preheat the oven to 345 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a large mixing bowl add your mashed sweet potato, chuck in your coconut flour, shredded carrots, peanut butter, honey, and eggs.
- Mix all six ingredients together, make sure they're combined well.
- Using a cookie cutter (I like the bone shape cutter) cut out cookies and place them on a cookie tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes (I always check at the 15-minute mark)
Go ahead, give it a go! I hope your furbaby loves this recipe as much as Toby.
P.s make sure to look at our harnesses for French Bulldogs!